Tuesday, March 3, 2009

New Parent Initiation

Well...Jeff and I were officially introduced into the new parent club last night. Apparently they hold these initiation ceremonies in the Dell Children's Hospital ER at Midnight, 'cause that's where we were last night. 

Violet's pediatrician appointment revealed that she had lost over a pound from her birth weight. We were instructed to start her on formula immediately (and me to start pumping in the mean time). Of course I immediately cried. I was worried about Violet being so small and of course I felt like I failed her in some way too.

After getting home, we realized that she was not able to stick to the eating schedule the doctor prescribed for her. Who knew babies don't just love formula and want to suck it down in great quantities when a bottle is plugged in??? I didn't. I called the after hours number and they sent us to the emergency room for a check.

Short story is that she was dehydrated and needed to be topped off with some IV fluids. Tiny arm, big needles, hard night.

We'll see the pediatrician again this morning.  

4 comments:

  1. Hope that the IV helped, you all must be exhausted! Hang in there, it will get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your adventure. It really does get better. Let us know if we can do anything to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary for you all. I am so sorry you are having a rough start to this parenthood business. You have in no way failed her, Reg! I am sending positive eating vibes her way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awful. You are doing a great job. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete